Living with Ulcerative Colitis becomes comfortable, if we could manage the cause which triggers the disease
Common triggers include stress, smoking, missing doses of medication, and eating certain foods. Try to identify your personal triggers and take steps to avoid them, such as practicing meditation to manage stress or using a daily pillbox to remember every dose.
1. Diet does not cause ulcerative colitis, but some foods may make the symptoms worse like dairy, fatty foods, and too much fiber (which can trigger diarrhea). It may be helpful to keep a journal of what you eat and any symptoms you have. Look for links and try avoiding suspected triggers.
2. Ulcerative colitis often causes bleeding in the colon, it can lead to anemia and iron deficiency. Some of the medications used to treat ulcerative colitis can interfere with the absorption of nutrients such as folic acid and calcium. Consult your doctor whether you need to take any of these supplements.
3. The symptoms of ulcerative colitis can make some patients wary of intimacy. There’s embarrassment over frequent trips to the washroom, along with abdominal pain, fatigue, and other mood killers. Immunosuppressants or steroids can also interfere with libido and body image. Be open with your partner about your concerns, and you should talk to your doctor.
4. With a little extra planning, most people with ulcerative colitis can travel comfortably. Remember following tips:
• Try very light food, use bottle water, avoid spices.
• Carry home made snacks to avoid infection.
• Use web sites to find the restrooms in airports, train stations, or other large venues ahead of time.
• Carry extra underclothing and moist wipes.
• Bring enough medication to last the entire trip, along with copies of your prescriptions.
• Discuss plans with your doctor to determine if other precautions are needed.
5. To avoid stress plan the daily schedule and do light mind relaxing exercise. Connect your self with mother nature.
6. Keep your self physically busy in work.
Remember, the major key to overcome ulcerative colitis is to bring suitable changes to your lifestyle at grass root levels. And always keep in mind, that it’s a temproray condition and you need to come out of it as a stronger person.